Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Move on Rover



My plan for total world domination by making tons of money buying and selling rare items on Ebay is off to a shaky start. Above is my mattel rover which I paid $24.95 for in 2002, is now selling for $14.90, I guess it wasn't quite as rare as I thought.

On July 4th. 1997 NASA'S little rover Sojourner landed on Mars with It's main mission to find out if water ever existed on Mars. Its last successful data transmission was September 27, 1997. The Sojourner operated 12 times its designed lifetime of 7 days. During the mission more than 16,000 images were taken, 15 chemical analysis of rocks were completed and extensive data on winds and other weather factors were gathered. It was the first time engineers were able to deliver a semi-autonomous vehicle(a vehicle that has artificial intelligence, but can also be controlled by a human user if needed) to the surface of another planet. Its main mission was accomplished, findings suggested a warmer past in which water may have existed.

Fast Forward to January 4/25 2004 rover's Spirit/Opportunity land on the Martian surface. The rovers have been exploring Mars surface for more than 1,200 martian days, they were only designed to last for 3 months. The rovers have discovered the best evidence for water to date, that being soil rich in silica so much so that only water could have produced such a concentration. The little rovers are in trouble, widespread dust storms are blocking out 99.9% of the Sun's energy threatening to end their mission. Opportunity is about to make a major entrance into Victoria Crater. Conspiracy theorists are already saying whats down in the crater that NASA doesn't want us to see, oh my! There has been many Mars conspiracy theories from The Face to Blue Mars Conspiracy . I'll leave you with this video, what do you think? You Tube Mars faked photos.

8 comments:

MoonDanzer said...

I really didn't realize that we had Mars conspiracy theorist....and, I am not even going to start wondering about them. I think it is grand the discoveries we are making. However, does this make me a theorist....if I wonder to myself sometimes...if there is proof that water was there...that maybe we all came from Mars? Great article....Just imagine what I have seen in my lifetime in space travel advancement...I am 50...so I have watched most of it take place...it's a lovely thought.

Bob Johnson said...

I hear you, I am also in the low low fifties, a lot has happened the last 40-50 years.

Anonymous said...

I hope none of that Martian dust is crash-landed ashes from the "Voyager Service" I plan to send you on someday (and you thought I was going to cheap out with the "Earth orbit" package!). Maybe I need to investigate your final trip into space a little further...

Bob Johnson said...

Score!

Anonymous said...

Didn't know about this 1997 Mars mission. So many things are happening but so little time to keep updated.

I have to admit this, I still believe that there are 9 planets in our solar system, this was from what I learned from school many years ago. Hope you can correct me if I'm wrong.

And that 'Ashes into Space' is very interesting but I can't help myself from laughing towards the end of the post.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

There's a conspiract theory for everything.

Bob Johnson said...

Zunnur, I will be doing a post about litte Pluto so time in the future, as far as I am concerned Pluto should have been grandfathered and remained a planet, there is quite a following of astronomers that believe this as well. jean-luc picard, so true.

Anonymous said...

Conspiracy theories are a necessary vice. It keeps everyone honest. It makes people ask questions instead of blindly believing what the media giants publish as what they want us all to believe as the truth.

I inject humor (Hopefully) into my theories hoping for the reader to stop and think for just a moment.

Thank you for the link.

Curator of the Grassy Knoll Institute.