Friday, August 15, 2008

Auroras And Mars Dust In 3D


Got another call from Dr. Tony Phillips from NASA's Spaceweather.com Saturday August 9 Stating;

"The planetary Kindex has reached a level of 5, this means that a mild geomagnetic storm is in progress. High latitude sky watchers should be alert for Auroras. So I got my stuff together and headed out of town to our Astronomy clubs dark site to view the Auroras for the first time far from the city lights, didn't disappoint the show was magnificent, all kinds of colors".


Checked in at Heavens Above website to see if there was going to be any Iridium flares, was in luck, 2 were going to be right in my field of view, got them on a couple of my images. When I got to the site I noticed a few clouds, which was cool, they added to the overall atmosphere.


Was able to view the Auroras for almost 2 hours before more clouds, thunder and lightning rolled in, actually it was raining slightly near the end so I grabbed a canvas shopping bag I keep in the trunk of my car for just such occasions and threw it over me and the camera and kept shooting till I could shoot no more, too much rain, and the lightning was scaring the crap out of me.

In the end I took 149 images over a time frame of 1 hour 49 minutes, stitched them together and made a movie for your viewing below. Notice the Big Dipper on the left, an early Perseid meteor at 1:06, top center and the 2 Iridium flares at 3:05 and 3:10, both bottom center.

Alright people, grab your 3D glasses once again, NASA has just released more 3D images, this time of Martian dust particles, the first ever 3D image of dust particles from another planet. They were taken with the lander's Atomic Force Microscope, man I so want an Atomic Force Microscope, mind you I'd like anything that does Atomic force, like Atomic Force 3D glasses, just think of the possibilities. This Atomic Force Microscope is 100x more powerful then the Phoenix Lander's wimpy optical microscope,(notice the lower case letters). The Atomic Force Microscope can scan and detail dust particles as small as one thousandth the width of a hair.

I know what you're thinking, "Bob I would love to view these awesome images in 3D but I just don't have the required 3D glasses", well you're in luck. the first 30 people that email me their addresses I will ship free of charge your own personal Hanna Montana/Miley Cyrus 3D glasses, you heard right I have a surplus, (don't ask why), of these awesome 3D glasses, be the first one on your block to own a pair and explore the world of 3D, start with NASA they have tons of 3D images to explore.

I'll leave you now with my "Aurora From A Dark Site" movie

32 comments:

Don said...

Your photos are superb. You must put is a lot of time to string those together. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

These are awesome!
Wow!

I love to think of you out there, in the storm, huddled with your camera, capturing these awesome images...

It sounds so adventurous and fun!! Makes me want to do something like that too! Who knows, maybe I will!

By the way, isn't there a partial eclipse tomorrow? Is it going to be visible where you are? Or here in Missouri? I'm planning to be outside in the moonlight that night so I'm wondering if I should be on the look out for it, and if I should take my camera...

Anonymous said...

By the way... I want one of those pairs of 3D glasses... I'm trying to figure out how to email you right now, but I'm at work, and my 15 minute break has extended to 40 minutes and I'll probably have to wait until I get home... so I've got dibs on a pair... OK? Please?

Bob Johnson said...

Thanks Don, takes a lot of time but it's worth it, love Auroras.\m/\m/

Bob Johnson said...

Thanks Shirley, I'll put a set away for you.

The partial lunar eclipse happens everywhere in the world except for , you guessed it, North America, the eclipse is just over as it rises over Eastern North America.\m/

Anonymous said...

That is really neat that you get to see the Auroras. Thanks for putting the movie together so we can see also. I will have to look up what an iridium flare is again.

I am going camping again tomorrow through Thursday. Any tips as to what I should be looking for in the sky this week?

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Bob,

WOOT!!! What aurora images!!! You saw them for two AWESOME hours. :D

I must find some 3-D glasses because I'm missing out on Mars space fun. :D You sure know how to have fun while Jeff and I are sleeping.

He's pretty sick right now. He inhaled some cedar sawdust at work and his whole respiratory system is out of whack.

Hugs! JJ

Bob Johnson said...

Thanks Will, Venus, Mercury and Saturn are all close together just after Sunset in the west and Mars not far away higher and further South,

The Perseid meteor shower is still going on, I was out last night around 11:00 pm and even with the full Moon I still saw quite a few, a couple real long ones. just look under Cassiopeia, that's where they will seem to start from but they will appear any where around there, Cassiopeia is the W in the NE sky, have fun.\m/\m/

Bob Johnson said...

Thanks JJ, just email me your address and I'll send you a pair.

Wow, who knew cedar sawdust could do that to you, I love the smell of it, I guess too much of anything is bad, tell Jeff hi and I'll be praying for him.\m/\m/

S-V-H said...

This are excellent pictures of the Auroras, Bob! A amazing spectacle of mother nature.Thanks for sharing.

RW said...

Awesome job Bob..but I think I will pass on the glasses lol! :)

Max Coutinho said...

Hey Bob!

I am back :D!

My, my, my...gorgeous video!! Congratulations on this truly work of art *bowing*!

The photos are incredible! I must confess that I missed all this art-forms!

Now, have 30 people emailed you yet? And I know you said not to ask, but.........................how come you have a surplus on 3D glasses, Bob? LOL ;)

What is that on your desk (I mean, I assume it is your desk)? Is that the delightful Yoda wearing 3D glasses?

"May the force be with you!" my friend!

Cheers

Anonymous said...

What does a person have to do to get in on the HM giveaway and how were you able to corner the 3D market?....:P
Been a long time since I have seen the Northern lights but,with luck I might see some in the near future.Might be headed to a star party in a few weeks?.
Excellent work as usual!

Bob Johnson said...

Hey Susanne thanks a bunch, love Auroras, was very lucky to get these shots, very happy.\m/\m/

Bob Johnson said...

Lol, thanks Roger, you sure, I can get you your very own pair, use them when your fishing, might help make the fish look bigger,lol.\m/\m/

Bob Johnson said...

Thanks and it's so good to see you back again, Can't tell you about the glasses, it's just that I know people,lol.

Yes that is one of my favorite Star Wars characters Yoda, he loves 3D glasses as well.\m/\m/

Bob Johnson said...

Thanks Andrew, if you want your own personal pair of 3D glasses just email me your address at bjohnson555@hotmail.com.

As far as the Aurora goes they are on tonight, solar wind on it's way, is here tonight.\m/\m/

Max Coutinho said...

Bob,

Thanks, Lord of the Astropics *bowing*! :)

LOL LOL good enough: you know people!

Yoda is my favourite Star Wars character too (ok, I am busted: I like the Star Wars); but I didn't know he loved 3D glasses LOL!

Cheers

kml said...

Bob - can you actually see the auroras move? Some of them spread out over the whole sky - they have got to be so beautiful to see in person.

Bob Johnson said...

Thanks Kathy, and yes you can see them dance, very breathtaking and a special moment.\m/\m/

Anonymous said...

You did your usual again, just amazed me with these fabulous pictures and information. I just love coming to your site, it is just wonderful.

Love and Blessings,
AngelBaby

Marvin said...

Wow, you sure know the right people Bob! I can hook you up with about 500 switchplate covers, if you're ever in need.

Nice pix as always. I like the wide-angle lens, that's very cool.

Bob Johnson said...

Thanks angelbaby, always happy when you drop by.\m/\m/

Bob Johnson said...

Lol, marvin, 500 switchplates, hey I could use them for the mall, I'll get my people to get ahold of yours we can do lunch and talk,lol.\m/\m/

Anonymous said...

Oh damn I am late to check this post, are there any left :) But don't we need special monitors to view 3D stuff?

Bob Johnson said...

On their way Priyank, don't need special monitors at all, these super dupper 3d glasses will let you enjoy all that is 3d at NASA!!!

Moonshadow said...

Hey Bob! Does this picture hurt your eyes to look at through your glasses...
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/images/press/anaglyphSS058EFF901343526_16776L1M1_full.html
I think they posted it upside down. Turn your glasses upside down and see if it looks any better. I wrote to them about it.

Bob Johnson said...

Geez moonshadow, I think you are right, it does look better upsidedown, good catch. \m/\m/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at blackholesandastrostuff.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Peter

Web 2.0 Design said...

Awesome photography Bob :)
PHP Web Development

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at blackholesandastrostuff.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Harry

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if someone here at blackholesandastrostuff.blogspot.com could repost it.

Thanks,
Daniel